Destiny-land
It's..... The happiest blog on earth



Monday

What's a matter you. (Hey!)
Gotta no respect.
What-a you think you do.
Why you look-a so sad.
It's-a not so bad.
It's-a nice-a place.
Ah, shut uppa you face.

A struggling Australlian musician named Joe Dolce recorded that song for $500. It became a world-wide hit, and is now in its 23rd year as the single most successful song in Australian history.

Now the singer-composer has his own web site where he tells the behind-the-scenes story of his sudden success. Two members of the original touring band died of heroin overdoses. They were once asked to substitute for the Pope. And my favorite anecdote involves the time he got to meet Chubby Checker.

We went back to his dressing room and I asked him, with all his experience in the entertainment business, to give me some advice or any tips. He looked right at me and said, 'Get the money, Joe.' I said, of course, I knew that and I trusted my management and... He interrupted me. 'Joe, get the money... get the money." He stressed the same thing over and over and that was it. The poor guy must have been so ripped off by con men in his day.



8/11/2003